Metal detecting / Nighthawking

All issues regarding arable farming.
digmybeef
Metal detecting / Nighthawking

Post by digmybeef » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:22 pm

Hello all you farmers, Just wondered what your views on metal detectorist's were, and also what you thought of Nighthawkers (metal detectorists who detect illegally at night)

Do you think it damages the crop if the seed is just coming through? or would it be ok as long as they filled there holes in

Does it bother you if Nighthawks came on your land and removed roman coins / brooches medieval coins brooches etc without you knowing? even if the land was in stubble and they filled there holes in?

Would any of you guys or have any of you staked your land out at night trying to catch nighthawks or doesn't it really bother you?

This topic is not mean't to rile anyone or wind any persons up, I am just curious what the majority of farmers thought about it, I know John Browning from Ipswich is mad keen on Nighthawks getting caught,

anyway peace out and hope you all have a good one

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:54 pm

It might be the season of goodwill, and I might even be missing the point, but am I bothered about people roaming around at night without permission?
No, thats fine, dig up the growing crop too but make sure you leave no divots, be my guest, help yourself. Take the diesel as well while you're here.
But don't let me catch you.

As for real mds, no problem. Actually interested in the history of the place, and do let a couple on.

Have a good one too.

digmybeef

Post by digmybeef » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:06 pm

take the diesel? no thanks im not a pikey

si-mate

Post by si-mate » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:04 pm

Would you mind if I came into your garden and dug about for some spuds without asking?
D1 KED

SJP

Post by SJP » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:40 pm

Don't know about there but here anyone wandering around at night up to no good better have the ruddy detector tuned to dectect some fair fast incomming rifle fire.

Regards.

dust n diesel

Re: Metal detecting / Nighthawking

Post by dust n diesel » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:43 pm

digmybeef wrote:Hello all you farmers, Just wondered what your views on metal detectorist's were, and also what you thought of Nighthawkers (metal detectorists who detect illegally at night)

Do you think it damages the crop if the seed is just coming through? or would it be ok as long as they filled there holes in

Does it bother you if Nighthawks came on your land and removed roman coins / brooches medieval coins brooches etc without you knowing? even if the land was in stubble and they filled there holes in?

Would any of you guys or have any of you staked your land out at night trying to catch nighthawks or doesn't it really bother you?

This topic is not mean't to rile anyone or wind any persons up, I am just curious what the majority of farmers thought about it, I know John Browning from Ipswich is mad keen on Nighthawks getting caught,

anyway peace out and hope you all have a good one
Its a bit cold out at this time of year for those shennanigans.
Please sir, can I have some more?

digmybeef

Post by digmybeef » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:08 pm

si-mate wrote:Would you mind if I came into your garden and dug about for some spuds without asking?
No it would really annoy me if anyone wandered into my garden, on the other hand if i had acres and acres of farm land then I'm not sure? depends if there was a roman or celtic settlement there and there was stuff worth finding, that would annoy me yes, probably more so because i am a treasure hunter, I would even go to the extreme of trying to catch anyone using night vision etc, i wouldn't use a rifle or something similar, that would be silly, especially if i shot some rambler just wandering around, but then I'd probably get bored of it after weeks of not catching anyone, and if it was just stubble and they filled there holes in then i wouldn't mind, it's hard to say exactly what i'd do because i am not a land owner

Lincs Lassy

Post by Lincs Lassy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:16 pm

digmybeef wrote:
si-mate wrote:Would you mind if I came into your garden and dug about for some spuds without asking?
No it would really annoy me if anyone wandered into my garden, on the other hand if i had acres and acres of farm land then I'm not sure? depends if there was a roman or celtic settlement there and there was stuff worth finding, that would annoy me yes, probably more so because i am a treasure hunter, I would even go to the extreme of trying to catch anyone using night vision etc, i wouldn't use a rifle or something similar, that would be silly, especially if i shot some rambler just wandering around, but then I'd probably get bored of it after weeks of not catching anyone, and if it was just stubble and they filled there holes in then i wouldn't mind, it's hard to say exactly what i'd do because i am not a land owner
The number of acres is irrelevant. Nighthawkers rape the historic environment and steal what they find under the cover of darkness. People who do it should be locked up for theft and trespass.
Tis my delight on a shiny night in the season of the year

Lord Muck

Post by Lord Muck » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:21 pm

digmybeef wrote:
I think the whole 'If they had acres and acres' argument is balls.
Am i able to mug a lottery winner because they have 'tons and tons of money' ?

I dont care if you have a window box or Kew friggin Gardens, i wouldn't trespass.

Nighthawks, Shytehawks, Pikeys, Ramblers, Jehovas Witnesses, Jews, Catholics, Muslims, Jocks, Micks, Taffs, Vicars, Rabbi's, Dust spooks, Ghouls, Banshees, Doggers, Froggers, Christmas Elfs, Hob Goblins, Arse Goblins, Bandits, Dykes, Nazis, Nancys, The young, The Old, The Infirm, The Righteous, The Confused, The Bewildered, Cowboys, Indians, Goodys, Baddys,
I dont care, if you're not meant to be there and you get caught, you will be taught an invaluable lesson.
It's a lovely day

Fat Hill

Post by Fat Hill » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:55 pm

Lord Muck wrote:
digmybeef wrote:
I think the whole 'If they had acres and acres' argument is balls.
Am i able to mug a lottery winner because they have 'tons and tons of money' ?

I dont care if you have a window box or Kew friggin Gardens, i wouldn't trespass.

Nighthawks, Shytehawks, Pikeys, Ramblers, Jehovas Witnesses, Jews, Catholics, Muslims, Jocks, Micks, Taffs, Vicars, Rabbi's, Dust spooks, Ghouls, Banshees, Doggers, Froggers, Christmas Elfs, Hob Goblins, Arse Goblins, Bandits, Dykes, Nazis, Nancys, The young, The Old, The Infirm, The Righteous, The Confused, The Bewildered, Cowboys, Indians, Goodys, Baddys,
I dont care, if you're not meant to be there and you get caught, you will be taught an invaluable lesson.
most likely with a yard and a half of truth. begone, raggamuffins
I'm nearly there......but not quite

digmybeef

Post by digmybeef » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:10 pm

hi, what does that mean? yard and half of truth? please educate me, thank you

Lord Muck

Post by Lord Muck » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:12 pm

digmybeef wrote:hi, what does that mean? yard and half of truth? please educate me, thank you
I thought you knew about religious items ?
It's a lovely day

NQIT

Post by NQIT » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:19 pm

digmybeef wrote:hi, what does that mean? yard and half of truth? please educate me, thank you
He's asking for it m'Lud :D

N14

Post by N14 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:57 pm

digmybeef wrote:
, i wouldn't use a rifle or something similar, that would be silly, especially if i shot some rambler just wandering around,
I'd have to think about that one.. :lol:

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:58 am

Well, seems like a resounding 'no' to nighthawkers then.

Here's my PIN number 999 by way of compensation, the house keys are under the mat, and the keys are in the ignition too. If you could just leave something for the dog to eat (unless you want him too) and shut the door after you take everything, I'd be obliged.
Regards
George (Martin)

PS You might find the folks on British farming forum more generous - give them a try.